Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year my friends!

Part of my many New Years resolutions includes getting organized. I've already started on my office area (because it's the smallest area) and have made a lot of progress on it.

On of my projects was this little mail organizer.

I bought it unfinished forever ago and finally got around to painting it and fixing it up.

I added some label holders and busted out my trusty Dymo Labeler to print me off some labels.

And there you have it. It's proven to be very very handy so far and matches my space really well. ^__^

Hope everyone has a safe and happy new year!

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dry Erase Board

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone!

Awhile ago I started work on organizing my office space. First thing was to make a dry erase message board. There are lots of tutorials online for these, this is just how I did mine.

I had two picture frames I bought damaged a good while ago from Michaels. The only thing wrong with them was that they were missing the cardboard backing. So I took one of the two (I'll show you what I did with the other one later) and had the guys at work cut me a piece of cardboard to fit the frame. You can get this done at any craft store with a frame shop for just a few dollars depending on the size.

Then I cut me some fabric and started hot gluing it to the cardboard. Try to choose a fabric with a pattern that's not too busy, so it doesn't distract from the writing when you're using the board.

My living room (which is where my office space is) has a bird/nature theme, so I found a cool stencil and put it in the corner of my fabric.

All done :-) Just pop it in the frame and hang it up.

:-) Yay cute office supplies!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Much Better Bedside Table

Hello my friends!

So in between being busy with the holidays at work and working on presents and such at home, I began work on what I had hoped would be my new bedside table.

Over the summer I acquired this:
We got a few of these in with the seasonal furniture at work. This one was on the base of one of the aisles and fell off one day, breaking the glass on the drawers.
I thought the piece itself was very functional and liked the overall look of it, so I bought it. But, I hated the red glass (red isn't really my color). And now since a bunch of it was broken, I had to think of a way of dealing with it.

And I think I succeeded:
First I painted any nicks and bumps and that ugly gold-brown-bronze trim black, then I mod podged on my fabric over all the areas where the glass had been. To the top I added some decorative gold trim and crossed my fingers that it would still look nice after 3 or so coats of polycrylic. It did just fine (yay!) and adds a lot to the top.
I really like the way the drawers turned out. The broken glass was still pretty secure to the drawers, so I was able to just mod podge the fabric on over top of it without much difficulty at all. Then I just popped the original knobs back on once the polycrylic dried.

It looks really nice in my room by my bed, and I even have enough fabric left over to make a pillow. :-D